Can NASA return astronauts to the Moon by 2024? Vice President Mike Pence shocked the space community by announcing this ambitious new goal just weeks after the Trump Administration proposed a half-billion dollar cut to the space agency. Is the Administration fed up with the mounting delays to the Space Launch System rocket? How seriously should we take this declaration? Is it even possible given budget cuts and political dysfunction? Brendan Curry, Chief of Washington Operations for The Planetary Society, joins the show to explore these questions.
- Amidst Cuts to NASA, Mars Sample Return May Finally Happen (planetary.org)
- NASA's FY 2020 Budget Request (planetary.org)
- Moon 2024 Gets Cool Reception by House Committee Democrats (spacepolicyonline.com)
- How seriously should we take the 2024 Moon goal? (planetary.org)
- Casey Dreier's blog: T-minus Five Years and Counting (planetary.org)