Know the cosmos and our place within it.
Empowering the world’s citizens to advance space science and exploration.
In 1980, Carl Sagan, Louis Friedman, and Bruce Murray founded The Planetary Society. They saw enormous public interest in space that was not reflected by government investment, as NASA’s budget was cut again and again. They established The Planetary Society to give anyone from anywhere in the world an active role in advancing space exploration.
Today, The Planetary Society continues this work, under the leadership of CEO Bill Nye, as the world’s largest and most influential non-profit space organization. The organization is registered 501(c)3 non-profit and engages a global community of more than 2 million space enthusiasts.
We help people take an active role in space exploration
"Thanks to the support of Planetary Society members around the world, we're on the verge of breakthrough precision that will allow for new discoveries."
Dr. Debra Fischer, Yale University astronomer and head of the 100 Earths exoplanet-hunting project at Lowell Observatory
"We need to make sure that we have groups like The Planetary Society always engaged, always interested… I cannot tell you how important it is."
Former NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
“The Planetary Society provides everyone with the opportunity to be a contributing factor in the exploration of the universe. If that doesn’t get you excited, check your pulse.”
Patrick F., Planetary Society Member
Our members' impact
- Launched LightSail 2, a groundbreaking solar sailing spacecraft
- Grants to 62 amateur astronomers in 19 countries who are hunting dangerous asteroids
- 500,000+ messages sent to Congress and White House in support of space exploration
- Successfully led the fight to grow NASA’s planetary exploration budget by more than $1.5 billion between 2013 and 2020.
- Fulfilling our founders vision with a thriving, active community of more than 2 million space enthusiasts
Sailing the Light Sailing the Light tells the story of the LightSail mission, a crowdfunded space science project from The Planetary Society.Video: The Planetary Society
Whoever you are, you have the power to make space exploration happen. Join us!
- Stay updated with our weekly email newsletter, The Downlink
- Become a Planetary Society member
- Take action in support of space exploration
- Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Linkedin
Certified Platinum Transparency. Give with confidence. The Planetary Society is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the United States.