Did the public support Project Apollo? Dr. Emily Margolis joins the show to explore the domestic politics and cultural impact of the space age throughout the 1960s. Despite the success of the lunar landings, there was more opposition to Apollo than we generally remember. Chief Advocate Casey Dreier also provides an update on some important developments in the U.S. Congress on the eve of their August recess—including some potentially good budget news for NASA.
- Budget Deal Means Research Programs Likely to Dodge Cuts, See Boosts – And Then…?
- Concern about Cost & Schedule Realism Led to Gerstenmaier and Hill Reassignments
- Key House appropriator still skeptical of NASA’s lunar plans
- Abstract for Emily Margolis’ Dissertation: Space Travel at 1G: Space Tourism in Cold War America
- Exploding the Myth of Popular Support for Project Apollo