On This Episode
Director of Program Planning for Secure World Foundation
Former Space Policy Advisor for The Planetary Society
Chief of Space Policy for The Planetary Society
Senior Communications Adviser and former Host of Planetary Radio for The Planetary Society
President Trump recently ordered the creation of Space Force—but what does that mean? What are the implications for militarization of space? National security expert Dr. Brian Weeden joins the show to explain the announcement. Weeden also breaks down Space Policy Directive #3, which directs the Department of Commerce to begin tracking space debris and other potential dangers to spacecraft in Earth orbit. Casey, Jason and Mat take a detour to discuss the James Webb Space Telescope's latest breach, which delays the launch until March of 2021.
A new episode of Space Policy Edition is posted on the first Friday of each month. Let us know what you think! Comment on this page or write to [email protected].
Related Reading and References:
- Dr. Brian Weeden and a list of his recent op-eds and publications
- "Why the United States needs a Space Force", by Douglas Loverro (Space News)
- Houston we have a space force", by the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board
- Space Policy Directive #3 full text (The White House)
- Trump's Space Council orders a traffic control system for objects in space" (The Verge)
- JWST Independent Review Report and NASA's response (PDF)
- Slides presented by NASA Astrophysics Director Paul Hertz on the current status of JWST (PDF)