Saving the Planet: Voices From the Planetary Defense Conference
Air Date: 06/30/2015
Run Time: 28:50
Listen to the full show:
Or Download mp3
- Linda Billings, Research Professor, George Washington University
- James Burke, Project Manager, Ranger program
- Paul Chodas, Manager, NASA NEO Program Office, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Tom Jones, Astronaut, Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
- Nahum Melamed, Project Manager, Aerospace Corporation
- Jason Reinhardt, MacArthur Nuclear Security Predoctoral Fellow, Stanford University
- Travis Brashears, Undergraduate Student, University of California, Berkeley
- Philip Lubin, Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara
We’ve already brought you Planetary Radio Live from the 2015 PDC near Rome, Italy. Now you’ll hear a small sampling of the scientists, engineers, policymakers and media experts who spent five days considering how humanity will respond to a potentially disastrous threat. Bruce Betts celebrates the great Jupiter-Venus conjunction in What’s Up. Bill Nye and Emily Lakdawalla return next week.
- 2015 Planetary Defense Conference
- 2015 Planetary Defense Conference Hypothetical Asteroid Impact Scenario
- Aerospace Corporation/JPL Online Near Earth Object Simulation Tool
- VIDEO: Planetary Radio Live at the 2015 Planetary Defense Conference
- VIDEO: Asteroid Threat Simulation at the 2015 Planetary Defense Conference
This week's prize is a fabulous Planetary Radio t-shirt!
This week's question:
Of the five moons of Pluto known before New Horizons, which two moons have a mythological family relationship?
To submit your answer:
Complete the contest entry form at http://planetary.org/radiocontest or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, July 7th at 8am Pacific Time. Be sure to include your name and mailing address.
Last week's question:
Who said (approximately), “Provide ships or sails adapted to the heavenly breezes and there will be some who will brave even that void.”
The answer will be revealed next week.
Question from the week before:
No winner this week!