LightSail Triumphant! A Mission Press Conference
Air Date: 06/16/2015
Run Time: 28:50
Listen to the full show:
Or Download mp3
- Jim Bell, President of the Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Barbara Plante, Founder and President, Boreal Space
- Rex Ridenoure, President and CEO, Ecliptic Enterprises Corporation
- Doug Stetson, LightSail Project Manager, The Planetary Society
After a roller coaster ride that included a maddening eight-day silence, the LightSail test mission finally achieved all of its major goals. Leaders of the mission team gathered on June 10th to take questions from the media, and share their thoughts and emotions with the general public. Today’s show presents highlights of that briefing. Emily Lakdawalla is seeing things on Pluto, and she’s not alone. Bruce Betts takes Mat Kaplan on a walk in space during this week’s What’s Up segment.
- The LightSail Project
- Complete LightSail Press Conference Audio
- LightSail Mission Declared a Success
- An Enigmatic Line Across Pluto: Plutonian Canali?! (Emily's just kidding.)
Too bad there’s no contest this week. We were going to give away a trip to Mars.
This week's question:
The contest returns next week!
Question from the week before last:
Soviet Alexei Leonov performed the first spacewalk (extravehicular activity). Out of all spacewalks, what number, in chronological order, was the next Soviet spacewalk?
The Soviet spacewalk following Alexei Leonov’s pioneering EVA was the 11th spacewalk overall. Yevgeny Khrunov and Aleksei Yeliseyev transferred from Soyuz 4 to Soyuz 5 in 1969.