Request for input: Any interest in tutorials on space imaging?
Posted By Emily Lakdawalla
2009/10/27 04:42 CDT
I am toying with the idea of running a series of classes via Ustream on the basics of space image processing. I would have to do them at a time when I have child care (weekday mornings Pacific time), which would likely be a more convenient time for Europeans than Americans, but anybody who couldn't tune in live would be able to view the archived videos and/or download my slides and send me any questions by email, which I'd answer in the next broadcast. The kinds of topics I'm thinking of covering include:
- Introduction to digital images (images are data; image histograms; file formats; RGB color)
- Introduction to space cameras (vidicon vs CCD, framing vs pushbroom, color filters, etc.)
- Getting started with space image data: "raw" image catalogs (MER and Cassini, basic types of image processing)
- Introduction to the Planetary Data System (how to browse, search, open, and convert these images
- And then probably some case-by-case processing exercises
From this...To this!