Exploring Europa and Mining Asteroids at Yuri’s Night
Air Date: 04/19/2016
Run Time: 41:05
Listen to the full show:
Or Download mp3
- Chris Lewicki, President and Chief Asteroid Miner, Planetary Resources
- Bob Pappalardo, Principal Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Bobak Ferdowsi, Senior Systems Engineer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Marcia Fiamengo, Future Astronaut, Virgin Galactic
Topics: commercial spaceflight, Jupiter's moons, Europa, human spaceflight, astronaut, explaining technology, Planetary Society Political Advocacy, Mars, Curiosity (Mars Science Laboratory), conference report, Bill NyeSupport Planetary Radio
Our special coverage from the Los Angeles Yuri’s Night party continues with Chris Lewicki of Planetary Resources along with Bob Pappalardo and Bobak “Mohawk Guy” Ferdowsi who are preparing an orbiter for Jupiter’s ocean world Europa. Emily Lakdawalla takes us on a 3D trek across Mars. Bill Nye reports on the just-completed 2016 Space Symposium. Bruce Betts reveals the identity of the first astronaut to lose his lunch in space.
- Yuri’s Night
- Planetary Resources & 3D Systems Reveal First Ever 3D Printed Object From Asteroid Metals
- Mission to Europa
- Virgin Galactic Astronauts
- Curiosity Update, Sols 1250-1310: Across the Naukluft Plateau
- 2016 Space Symposium
This week's grand prizes are a lovely Planetary Radio t-shirt, a 200-point iTelescope.net astronomy account, and a Planetary Society rubber asteroid!
This week's question:
What is the name of 90482 Orcus’ moon?
To submit your answer:
Complete the contest entry form at http://planetary.org/radiocontest or write to us at email@example.com no later than Tuesday, April 26th at 8am Pacific Time. Be sure to include your name and mailing address.
Last week's question:
What moon in our solar system has a massive equatorial ridge running three quarters of the way around it?
The answer will be revealed next week.
Question from the week before:
Who was the first person to vomit in space?
Among Gherman Titov’s many space firsts was the first rainbow smile.