Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
05/27/2014 | 34:47
- Dan Durda, Near Earth Object astronomer and astronomical painter
- Marc Rayman, Dawn Chief Engineer and Mission Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17 Commander, NASA
- Laura Danly, Astrophysicist and Curator, Griffith Observatory
Planetary Radio visited Spacefest in Pasadena to talk with planetary scientist and space artist Dan Durda, Marc Rayman of the Dawn asteroid mission, and a guy who calls himself the Space Cowboy. We also eavesdrop on Apollo 17 Commander Gene Cernan and his lifelong fan, Griffith Observatory Curator Laura Danly.
05/20/2014 | 56:44
- Charles Whetsel, Mars Program Formulation Office Manager, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Geoff Notkin, Meteorite Man, Discovery Channel
- Susan Jewell, Space medicine researcher and Mars analog participant, Mars Initiative
Planetary Radio visits the 33rd ISDC to talk with three explorers who’ve set their sights on the Red Planet: MD and space medicine researcher Susan Jewell, Meteorite Man Geoff Notkin, and Mars Program Formulation Office Manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Charles Whetsel.
05/13/2014 | 23:49
- Casey Dreier, Director of Advocacy, The Planetary Society
Planetary Radio host Mat Kaplan learns why Director of Advocacy Casey Dreier is cautiously optimistic about the budget outlook for planetary science and exploration, so long as Planetary Society members and others keep making their voices heard in the nation's capitol.
05/13/2014 | 32:43
- Daniel Lockney, Editor of NASA's Annual Spinoff Report
NASA has just published "Spinoff 2013," the latest of its annual reports on outstanding innovations developed for space that are solving problems and improving lives here on Earth. Technology Transfer Program Executive Daniel Lockney is our guest.
04/29/2014 | 52:29
- Ray O. Johnson, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President, Lockheed Martin
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Mike Rowe, Creator and Executive Producer of 'Dirty Jobs', Discovery Channel
Join us at the world’s biggest public science event in Washington DC, where we talk about dirty jobs in space with television’s terrific Mike Rowe.
04/22/2014 | 28:50
- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx Principal Investigator, University of Arizona
- Elisa Quintana, Kepler Mission Research Scientist, SETI Institute
Finally found: an Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone. You’ll hear lead scientist Elisa Quintana make the announcement. Then OSIRIS REx mission Principal Investigator Dante Lauretta will tell us how the spacecraft will return a sample of material from the birth of the solar system.
04/15/2014 | 31:53
- Loretta Whitesides, Flight Director/Yuri's Night Founder, Zero Gravity Corporation/Yuri's Night
- George Whitesides, President and CEO, Virgin Galactic
- Ron Garan, Founder, Fragile Oasis and the Manna Energy Foundation
Join the party as we celebrate the 53rd anniversary of humanity’s transition to spacefaring species with Yuri’s Night Executive Director Loretta Hidalgo Whitesides, Virgin Galactic CEO and Yuri’s Night co-founder George Whitesides, and astronaut Ron Garan, who heads Fragile Oasis.
04/08/2014 | 42:43
- Cheryl Nickerson, Professor, Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University
You may have heard that the sometimes deadly Salmonella bacterium becomes stronger in microgravity. Cheryl Nickerson tell us about this and other results her team has conducted in low Earth orbit.
04/01/2014 | 28:50
- Neal Brown, Former Director, Poker Flat Research Range
It’s back to Alaska, this time to the Poker Flat Research Range, where former Director Neal Brown and his staff launched sounding rockets into the heart of the Aurora Borealis. Emily Lakdawalla explores newly-discovered and very distant dwarf planets, and Bill Nye the Science guy has the latest on NASA’s planetary science budget.