Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
12/08/2015 | 34:34
- Shell Amega, Vice President, Communications, California Science Center Foundation
- Devin Waller, Exhibit Project Manager, California Science Center Foundation
- Mark Krenzien, Director/Writer, Journey to Space 3D IMAX Film
Journey to Space is both a new and spectacular IMAX movie and an exciting, hands-on exhibition at the California Science Center. We learn about both this week.
11/24/2015 | 31:16
- Chris Biddy, CEO and Founder, Aquila Space
- James Causey, Executive Director, SpaceCom Expo
- John Elbon, Vice President and General Manager, Boeing Space Exploration Division
- Jeff Greason, CEO, XCOR Aerospace
- Wendy Niemann, Associate Director of Industry Development, Destination Imagination
- Ellen Ochoa, Director and Former Astronaut, NASA Johnson Space Center
We join 1,600 space entrepreneurs and visionaries in Houston, and talk with Boeing, XCOR, Johnson Space Center Director Ellen Ochoa and more.
11/17/2015 | 28:50
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Traci Watson, Science Journalist
Emily Lakdawalla returns from the annual Division for Planetary Sciences meeting with big news from around the solar system. Then we talk with science journalist Traci Watson about the departure of the great Arecibo radio telescope’s Director and the funding challenge that could shut down the observatory.
11/10/2015 | 47:33
- Louis D. Friedman, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
The founding Executive Director of the Planetary Society has just written “Human Spaceflight: From Mars to the Stars,” an optimistic view of humanity’s future in the solar system and beyond.
11/03/2015 | 31:47
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, The Planetary Society
- Nichelle Nichols, Actor and writer
- Dava Newman, Deputy Administrator, NASA
It was a grand night at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. CEO Bill Nye led the Planetary Society’s 35th anniversary party with guests including Neil deGrasse Tyson and Deputy NASA Administrator Dava Newman. We present a very brief sampling of the celebration.
10/27/2015 | 1:07:51
- Andy Weir, Writer, Author of “The Martian”
“The Martian” has won universal acclaim from scientists, astronauts, NASA, science fiction fans, and people who thought they weren’t science fiction fans. Mat Kaplan talks with the author about his harrowing, uplifting, amazingly detailed and realistic tale.
10/20/2015 | 38:40
- Hal Weaver, New Horizons Project Scientist, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab
Hal Weaver is a very happy Project Scientist. His New Horizons spacecraft has shocked his fellow researchers with magnificent images and data. He shares the excitement this week.
10/06/2015 | 28:50
- Franck Marchis, Exoplanets Research Thrust Chair, SETI Institute
Franck Marchis is on the team that has delivered an actual image of a young, hot world about 100 light years from Earth. We talk with him on the 20th anniversary of the first exoplanet discovery.
09/29/2015 | 37:56
- Casey Dreier, Director of Space Policy, The Planetary Society
- G. Scott Hubbard, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- John M. Logsdon, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Scott Hubbard and John Logsdon led the Humans Orbiting Mars Workshop last spring. They return with Casey Dreier as the report on that workshop is released to the world.