Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
05/24/2016 | 29:57
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Journalist and Digital Editor, The Planetary Society
The Planetary Society’s solar sail spacecraft was in the middle of a critical test as we spoke with the Society’s Bruce Betts and Jason Davis.
05/17/2016 | 28:50
- John Grunsfeld, Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate, NASA
John Grunsfeld closes our coverage of the Space Foundation’s 32nd annual Space Symposium in Colorado Springs. We also meet the leaders of the New Generation Space Leaders Program.
05/10/2016 | 28:50
- Mark Sirangelo, Corporate Vice President, Sierra Nevada Corporation's Space Systems
We’re back at Space Symposium for a conversation with SNC’s Mark Sirangelo, leader of that company’s effort to build the Dream Chaser. We’ll also hear a few moments of Bill Nye’s session at the annual gathering as he hosted Bernard Foing and Amy Mainzer.
05/03/2016 | 31:22
- Mohammed Nasser Al Ahbabi, Director General, UAE Space Agency
- Johann-Dietrich Woerner, Director General, European Space Agency
- Bernard Foing, Chief Scientist, European Space Agency
The annual Space Symposium in Colorado is a must-attend event for space leaders from around the world. Our coverage begins with United Arab Emirates Space Agency Director General Mohammed Nasser Al Ahbabi, and then moves to ESA Director General Jan Woerner and Chief Scientist Bernard Foing.
04/26/2016 | 1:11:38
- Tyler Nordgren, Astronomer, Author and National Park Photographer
- Jill Tarter, Director of SETI Research, SETI Institute
Beautiful Death Valley National Park was the setting for a fascinating conversation with famed SETI researcher Jill Tarter and celebrated astronomer, artist and photographer Tyler Nordgren.
04/12/2016 | 28:50
- Samantha Cristoforetti, Italian Astronaut, European Space Agency
- Robert Picardo, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Happy Yuri’s Night! We’re partying under Space Shuttle Endeavour in the first of two shows featuring interviews from the worldwide celebration of space. Star Trek’s Robert Picardo will talk about his new video newsletter, the Planetary Post, and we’ll visit with Samantha Cristoforetti, who returned last June from 200 days aboard the International Space Station.
04/05/2016 | 39:41
- Michel Mayor, Professor Emeritus, University of Geneva
Michel Mayor and his team rocked the astronomy world with their 1995 announcement, but this modest man says it was a discovery whose time had come.
03/29/2016 | 38:02
- Ashwin Vasavada, Mars Science Laboratory Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The new Mars Science Laboratory Project Scientist is not new to the mission. Ashwin Vasavada has worked on the Curiosity rover since 2004.
03/22/2016 | 28:50
- Konstantin Batygin, Assistant Professor of Planetary Science, California Institute of Technology
- Mike Brown, Planetary Astronomer, California Institute of Technology
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Linda Spilker, Cassini Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Our live conversation about “Planet 9” and the amazing diversity of our solar system, featuring Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown of Caltech, Senior Editor Emily Lakdawalla, Bill Nye the Science Guy and Cassini Project Scientist Linda Spilker.
03/15/2016 | 35:30
- Neil Gehrels, Chief, Astroparticle Physics Laboratory, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
NASA has given the go-ahead for creation of the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope. It might help reveal the nature of dark energy and point the way to life among the stars.