Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
06/28/2016 | 40:14
- Scott Bolton, Principal Investigator for JUNO
Juno will enter Jupiter orbit on July 4th. Mat Kaplan talks with the mission’s Principal Investigator, Scott Bolton at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Bill Nye helps prepare us for this exciting encounter and the science that will follow.
06/21/2016 | 34:17
- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx Principal Investigator, University of Arizona
OSIRIS-REx will launch toward Near Earth Asteroid Bennu soon. In an early celebration of Asteroid Day, mission leader Dante Lauretta tells us how learning about asteroids may teach us about our own origins, and help us avoid a cataclysmic impact.
06/14/2016 | 31:46
- Candice Hansen, Senior Scientist, Planetary Science Institute
The Juno spacecraft will enter orbit at Jupiter on July 4th. It carries a camera that will send back spectacular images from just above the swirling clouds of that mighty planet. Planetary scientist Candy Hansen will tell us how we can help decide what it will view.
06/07/2016 | 32:32
- Chris McKay, Famed planetary scientist, NASA Ames Research Center
- Larry Niven, Science Fiction Writer
- Andy Weir, Writer, Author of “The Martian”
Space art and science fiction joined science fact at the 2016 Contact Conference in Sunnyvale, California. We talk with three well-known visionaries.
05/24/2016 | 29:57
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Digital Editor, The Planetary Society
The Planetary Society’s solar sail spacecraft was in the middle of a critical test as we spoke with the Society’s Bruce Betts and Jason Davis.
05/17/2016 | 28:50
- John Grunsfeld, Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate, NASA
John Grunsfeld closes our coverage of the Space Foundation’s 32nd annual Space Symposium in Colorado Springs. We also meet the leaders of the New Generation Space Leaders Program.
05/10/2016 | 28:50
- Mark Sirangelo, Corporate Vice President, Sierra Nevada Corporation's Space Systems
We’re back at Space Symposium for a conversation with SNC’s Mark Sirangelo, leader of that company’s effort to build the Dream Chaser. We’ll also hear a few moments of Bill Nye’s session at the annual gathering as he hosted Bernard Foing and Amy Mainzer.
05/03/2016 | 31:22
- Mohammed Nasser Al Ahbabi, Director General, UAE Space Agency
- Johann-Dietrich Woerner, Director General, European Space Agency
- Bernard Foing, Chief Scientist, European Space Agency
The annual Space Symposium in Colorado is a must-attend event for space leaders from around the world. Our coverage begins with United Arab Emirates Space Agency Director General Mohammed Nasser Al Ahbabi, and then moves to ESA Director General Jan Woerner and Chief Scientist Bernard Foing.
04/26/2016 | 1:11:38
- Tyler Nordgren, Astronomer, Author and National Park Photographer
- Jill Tarter, Director of SETI Research, SETI Institute
Beautiful Death Valley National Park was the setting for a fascinating conversation with famed SETI researcher Jill Tarter and celebrated astronomer, artist and photographer Tyler Nordgren.
04/12/2016 | 28:50
- Samantha Cristoforetti, Italian Astronaut, European Space Agency
- Robert Picardo, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Happy Yuri’s Night! We’re partying under Space Shuttle Endeavour in the first of two shows featuring interviews from the worldwide celebration of space. Star Trek’s Robert Picardo will talk about his new video newsletter, the Planetary Post, and we’ll visit with Samantha Cristoforetti, who returned last June from 200 days aboard the International Space Station.