Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
03/08/2016 | 34:48
- Julielynn Wong, Founding Director, Center for Innovative Technologies and Public Health
Julielynn Wong came directly from her 30-day long HERA IX deep space simulation to our microphone. We talk with her about the experience, and her progress toward 3D medical device printing solutions for astronauts and Earthbound humans.
03/01/2016 | 1:08:15
- Kim Stanley Robinson, Science Fiction Author
Famed science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson is back with Aurora, a cautionary tale about just how difficult interstellar travel may be.
02/23/2016 | 1:03:36
- Casey Dreier, Director of Space Policy, The Planetary Society
- Jason Callahan, Space Policy Advisor, The Planetary Society
Casey Dreier, the Planetary Society's Director of Space Policy, and Jason Callahan, the Society's Space Policy Advisor, talk with Mat Kaplan about the just-released "President's Budget Request" for the fiscal year starting in October of 2016.
02/16/2016 | 38:49
OK Go has gone where no band has gone before to make a music video. Mat talks with Damian Kulash and Tim Nordwind about the hazards, thrill and promise of making art in free fall.
02/09/2016 | 21:10
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Digital Editor, The Planetary Society
The Planetary Society's Bruce Betts and Jason Davis join host Mat Kaplan for a status report on LightSail 2, the Society's next solar sail, now being prepared for launch as soon as late this year.
02/02/2016 | 50:35
- Lindley Johnson, Planetary Defense Officer, NASA
- Kelly Fast, Astronomer and Manager of the Near Earth Object Observation Program, NASA
Lindley Johnson has just been named NASA's first Planetary Defense Officer. He's joined on this week's PlanRad by astronomer Kelly Fast, the new manager of the Near Earth Object Observation Program.
01/26/2016 | 41:48
- Rosanne Di Stefano, Senior Astrophysicist, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
New research indicates that globular clusters—collections of up to a million stars—could provide stable environments for life, along with opportunities for interstellar civilizations. Lead author Rosanne Di Stefano joins us to explain.
01/19/2016 | 30:51
- Marc Rayman, Dawn Chief Engineer and Mission Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The Dawn Mission Chief Engineer Marc Rayman returns for another report on the ion-engine powered mission, now orbiting 240 miles above dwarf planet Ceres in the Asteroid Belt.
01/12/2016 | 38:18
- Francis McCubbin, Astromaterials Curator, NASA Johnson Space Center
Francis McCubbin is the new Astromaterials Curator at NASA's Johnson Space Center, where the priceless collection includes the Apollo moonrocks. Join host Mat Kaplan's visit.