Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
08/09/2016 | 28:50
- Dion Jackson, Program Director, USC Center for Economic Development
- G. Marie Talnack, Director of Technology Transfer, Cal Poly Pomona
- Bill Galary, Senior Engineer, Nye Lubricants
- Bob Hoffman, Regional Engineering Manager, Western Regional Sales, Nye Lubricants
You may never hear their names, but there are thousands of small to medium-sized companies without which space exploration and development wouldn’t happen.
08/02/2016 | 1:26:01
- Philip Lubin, Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Travis Brashears, Undergraduate Student, University of California, Berkeley
Philip Lubin and his former student Travis Brashears have had quite a year. Their bold plan to send tiny probes to nearby stars is now supported by NASA and the Breakthrough Starshot $100 million dollar initiative. Hear their amazing story.
07/26/2016 | 36:40
- DJ Byrne, Lead Software Designer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Don Heyer, Digital Design Engineer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Raul Perez, Technical Staff, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
It takes a lot of terrific components to create a successful spacecraft like Curiosity, the Mars Science Laboratory. We’ll visit JPL to learn about the Terminal Descent Sensor radar that will once again help land a rover on the Red Planet.
07/12/2016 | 48:25
- Fran Bagenal, Professor of Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences,, Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of Colorado
- Guy Beutelschies, Director of Interplanetary Missions, Lockheed Martin Space Systems
- Scott Bolton, Principal Investigator for JUNO
- Elsa Jensen, JunoCam Instrument Operations Engineer, Malin Space Science Systems
- Candice Hansen, Senior Scientist, Planetary Science Institute
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Jonathan Nichols, Reader, University of Leicester
- Rick Nybakken, Juno Project Manager, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
Return with us to the evening of July 4, 2016 and the exciting arrival at Jupiter of the Juno orbiter. You’ll hear the moment of successful orbital insertion. Several of the mission’s key contributors reveal how Juno accomplished this feat, along with what they hope the spacecraft will tell us about the giant planet.
06/28/2016 | 40:14
- Scott Bolton, Principal Investigator for JUNO
Juno will enter Jupiter orbit on July 4th. Mat Kaplan talks with the mission’s Principal Investigator, Scott Bolton at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Bill Nye helps prepare us for this exciting encounter and the science that will follow.
06/07/2016 | 32:32
- Chris McKay, Famed planetary scientist, NASA Ames Research Center
- Larry Niven, Science Fiction Writer
- Andy Weir, Writer, Author of “The Martian”
Space art and science fiction joined science fact at the 2016 Contact Conference in Sunnyvale, California. We talk with three well-known visionaries.
05/31/2016 | 56:31
- Stephen Jurczyk, Associate Administrator of the Space Technology Mission Directorate, NASA
- Jim Free, Deputy Director of the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, NASA
- Rick Davis, Assistant Director for Science and Exploration, NASA’s Science Mission Directorate
Three NASA leaders talk with host Mat Kaplan about the progress we're making toward leaving footprints on the Red Planet.
05/24/2016 | 29:57
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Journalist and Digital Editor, The Planetary Society
The Planetary Society’s solar sail spacecraft was in the middle of a critical test as we spoke with the Society’s Bruce Betts and Jason Davis.
05/10/2016 | 28:50
- Mark Sirangelo, Corporate Vice President, Sierra Nevada Corporation's Space Systems
We’re back at Space Symposium for a conversation with SNC’s Mark Sirangelo, leader of that company’s effort to build the Dream Chaser. We’ll also hear a few moments of Bill Nye’s session at the annual gathering as he hosted Bernard Foing and Amy Mainzer.
04/26/2016 | 1:11:38
- Tyler Nordgren, Astronomer, Author and National Park Photographer
- Jill Tarter, Director of SETI Research, SETI Institute
Beautiful Death Valley National Park was the setting for a fascinating conversation with famed SETI researcher Jill Tarter and celebrated astronomer, artist and photographer Tyler Nordgren.