Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
10/07/2014 | 28:50
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Elizabeth Howell, Senior Writer, Universe Today
- Gordon Osinski, NSERC/MDA/CSA Industrial Research Chair in Planetary Geology, University of Western Ontario
- Jeremy Hansen, Astronaut, Canadian Space Agency
We welcomed 1,600 Canadian space enthusiasts to the University of Toronto for our October 1st celebration of Canada in space! Join Mat Kaplan and Bill Nye with their guests, Canadian space writer Elizabeth Howell, University of Western Ontario planetary scientist Gordon “Oz” Osinski, and Canadian Space Agency astronaut Jeremy Hansen. Bruce Betts appeared via Skype to lead a rousing Random Space Fact cheer on What’s Up.
09/09/2014 | 28:50
- Miguel Alcubierre, Theoretical Physicist, Nuclear Sciences Institute, National Autonomous University of Mexico
Inspired by Star Trek, distinguished physicist Miguel Alcubierre developed the general relativity-based model for warp drive 20 years ago. Hear why he doubts it will ever be a reality, and learn about his current research on gravitational waves.
09/02/2014 | 28:50
- Chris Carberry, Executive Director and Co-Founder, Explore Mars
Explore Mars wants to look for life on the Red Planet. Not past life. Life thriving under the Martian surface right now. Chris Carberry will tell us how the ExoLance project might find it.
08/26/2014 | 28:50
- Alan Stern, New Horizons Principal Investigator, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
New Horizons passed through the orbit of Neptune on August 25th. By cosmic coincidence, this was the 25th anniversary of Voyager 2’s flyby of that big, blue world. We catch Principal Investigator Alan Stern right after a celebration in Washington.
08/19/2014 | 29:52
- Gilbert "Rip" Collins, Physicist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Physicist Gilbert "Rip" Collins of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab will tell us about recent use of the world’s most powerful lasers to recreate conditions at the cores of giant planets.
08/12/2014 | 28:50
- Henry Lin, Student, Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Harvard’s Henry Lin led work that determined the soon-to-be-launched James Webb Space Telescope may be able to detect an alien civilization by analyzing its atmosphere.
08/05/2014 | 28:50
- Håkan Svedhem, Venus Express Project Scientist
Venus Express Project Scientist Håkan Svedhem tells us about the spacecraft’s harrowing descent into the Venusian atmosphere, what it is currently up to, and what he’d like to see next at that forbidding planet.
07/15/2014 | 28:50
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Jim Bell, President of the Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- David Brin, Science Fiction Author
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Digital Editor
- Barbara Plante, Founder and President, Boreal Space
- Doug Stetson, LightSail Project Manager, The Planetary Society
LightSail, the Planetary Society’s innovative solar sail cubesat, will ride into space on the huge SpaceX Falcon Heavy, now in development. Bill Nye and others join us for a live celebration of this announcement.