Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
01/07/2013 | 28:50
- John Dobson, Astronomer and designer of telescopes, The Sidewalk Astronomers
A reprise of our very popular conversation with the delightful 97-year old John Dobson, inventor of the Dobsonian telescope that brings the universe within everyone’s reach.
12/10/2012 | 28:50
- Xavier Dumusque, Astronomer, University of Generva
Xavier Dumusque is the young astronomer who was lead author for the announcement of the first exoplanet found in the Alpha Centauri system, just 4.3 light years from Earth. It's also the first Earth-sized world found outside our own system.
10/22/2012 | 28:50
- Alan Stern, New Horizons Principal Investigator, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Bill Borucki, Kepler Principal Investigator
- Heidi Hammel, Vice President of the Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- William Hartmann, Planetary scientist, author, and artist
- Jim Bell, President of the Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Rosaly Lopes, Planetary Scientist and Leading Volcanologist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The 44th Annual Meeting of the AAS Division of Planetary Sciences hosted hundreds of researchers and revealed volumes of scientific results. Join us at the conference.
10/15/2012 | 28:50
- Bruce Betts, Director of Projects, The Planetary Society
- Robert Holmes, Shoemaker NEO Grant recipient
- Gary Hug, Astronomer, Sandlot Observatory
The Planetary Society's Bruce Betts provides an overview of the Shoemaker NEO grant program, and we meet two dedicated grant recipients.
10/08/2012 | 28:50
- Garth Illingworth, Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics, UC Santa Cruz
UC Santa Cruz astronomer and XDF Principal Investigator Garth Illingworth takes us on a tour of this magnificent new image.
09/10/2012 | 28:50
When John Dobson invented the Dobsonian telescope he changed the face of amateur astronomy. The 96-year old pioneer talks with Mat Kaplan. Emily Lakdawalla loves Curiosity’s self-portraits. Bill Nye the Science Guy is in London to host a youth webcast with International Space Station astronaut Sunita Williams. Bruce Betts keeps us from getting Lost in Space and helps Mat give away a cool Curiosity bumper sticker in What’s Up.
04/16/2012 | 28:50
- Scott Kardel, Public Affairs Director, International Dark-Sky Association
There are millions of urbanites who have never seen the wonders of a truly dark night sky. Scott Kardel of the International Dark Sky Association is fighting to restore the sky our ancestors knew so well.