Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
01/19/2016 | 30:51
- Marc Rayman, Dawn Chief Engineer and Mission Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The Dawn Mission Chief Engineer Marc Rayman returns for another report on the ion-engine powered mission, now orbiting 240 miles above dwarf planet Ceres in the Asteroid Belt.
12/22/2015 | 33:59
- John Culberson, Chair of the House Commerce, Justice and Science Sub-Committee
The newly-approved federal budget includes great news for fans of space exploration and development. Texas Congressman John Culberson led the fight for a Europa mission, the SLS rocket, commercial crew and more. He tells us why on this week’s show.
12/15/2015 | 28:50
- Kris Zacny, Vice President and Director of Exploration Technology, Honeybee Robotics
- Mike Malaska, Technologist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Bill Abbey, Technical Staff, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Drilling through many meters of ice to Europa’s ocean or to the pristine sub-surface layers of Mars will be hard. The Planetary Deep Drill prototype has shown that it may be a practical approach. Join Mat Kaplan and Planetary Society colleagues at the field test site deep in California’s desert.
12/08/2015 | 34:34
- Shell Amega, Vice President, Communications, California Science Center Foundation
- Devin Waller, Exhibit Project Manager, California Science Center Foundation
- Mark Krenzien, Director/Writer, Journey to Space 3D IMAX Film
Journey to Space is both a new and spectacular IMAX movie and an exciting, hands-on exhibition at the California Science Center. We learn about both this week.
10/20/2015 | 38:40
- Hal Weaver, New Horizons Project Scientist, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab
Hal Weaver is a very happy Project Scientist. His New Horizons spacecraft has shocked his fellow researchers with magnificent images and data. He shares the excitement this week.
09/15/2015 | 28:50
- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx Principal Investigator, University of Arizona
Dante Lauretta heads the most ambitious mission to an asteroid ever mounted. With one year left till launch, he returns to Planetary Radio with an update.
08/25/2015 | 33:33
- Matt Golombek, Co-chair, Mars Exploration Rover Landing Site selection committee
- Lindsay Hays, Science Systems Engineer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Ken Edgett, Senior Research Scientist, Malin Space Science Systems
The 2020 Mars Rover may be years away, but determining where it will land is already a hot topic among scientists and engineers. Many of the former gathered in early August for a site selection workshop. We talk with Co-Chair and Mars veteran Matt Golombek, JPL astrobiologist Lindsay Hays, and Ken Edgett of Malin Space Science Systems.
08/11/2015 | 39:23
- Karen O’Neil, Site Director and Assistant Director for Operations, Green Bank Telescope, National Radio Astronomy Observatory
- Dan Werthimer, Co-Founder and Chief Scientist, SETI@Home Project, UC Berkeley
We follow last week’s conversation with Ann Druyan about the $100 million funding of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence by visiting with two of the scientists who will do the work: Dan Werthimer of UC Berkeley and Karen O’Neil of the Green Bank Telescope.
07/28/2015 | 43:09
- Louise Devoy, Curator, The Royal Observatory, Greenwich
Come with us on a visit to the home of the prime meridian for a conversation with the curator of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich about the race to create a practical means for determining longitude.
07/21/2015 | 28:50
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jim Bell, President of the Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Mike Brown, Planetary Astronomer, California Institute of Technology
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Linda Spilker, Cassini Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Join our live audience for highlights of an amazing evening, featuring Jim Bell, Bruce Betts, Mike Brown, Emily Lakdawalla, Linda Spilker, and Bill Nye the Science Guy.