Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
06/23/2015 | 28:50
- William Patzert, Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Jerry Schubel, President and CEO, Aquarium of the Pacific
- Steve Vance, Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
We return to the beautiful Aquarium of the Pacific in southern California for a fascinating conversation about ocean science. What we learn down here is furthering our research around the solar system. William Patzert, Jerry Schubel and Steven Vance join Mat Kaplan on stage. Emily Lakdawalla tells us what Curiosity, the Mars Science Laboratory rover, has been doing lately. Bruce Betts is keeping his eye on converging Jupiter and Venus.
06/02/2015 | 28:50
- Chris Carberry, Executive Director and Co-Founder, Explore Mars
Explore Mars revealed the 2015 Humans to Mars Report at a recent conference in Washington. CEO Chris Carberry gives us a quick tour of this inspiring assessment of what it will take to get more than robots to the Red Planet.
05/26/2015 | 28:50
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Barbara Plante, Founder and President, Boreal Space
- Alex Diaz, Integration Contractor, Ecliptic Enterprises
- Jason Davis, Digital Editor
This special edition takes you behind the scenes on May 20, 2015 as LightSail is lifted into orbit. You’ll hear the thrilling launch, meet key team members as they prepare for the big moment, and hear a special status report from Planetary Society CEO Bill Nye.
05/12/2015 | 28:50
- Alan Stern, New Horizons Principal Investigator, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Humankind’s arrival at Pluto is barely two months away. The science and images have already started to flow from New Horizons, according to the mission’s Principal Investigator, Alan Stern. Alan returns to Planetary Radio this week.
04/14/2015 | 39:56
- Rob Manning, Chief Engineer, Mars Exploration Directorate, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Landing on Mars is hard, and the bigger you are, the harder it gets. Rob Manning returns to tell us about one of NASA’s best hopes for getting much bigger spacecraft down there—spacecraft that may one day carry humans.
04/07/2015 | 37:28
- G. Scott Hubbard, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- John M. Logsdon, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
A human mission to orbit Mars might be possible by 2033, and it might be accomplished at reasonable cost and with existing or nearly-ready technology. Three leaders of a recent Washington DC conference on this topic provide a report.
03/24/2015 | 28:50
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
Senior Editor Emily Lakdawalla has returned from the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Texas with the latest revelations about our solar system. She shares them in an extended report.
03/17/2015 | 34:46
- John Grotzinger, Curiosity Project Scientist, California Institute of Technology
The Mars Science Laboratory rover has accomplished its primary goals on the Red Planet, and John Grotzinger has left his central role to become Chair of the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at the California Institute of Technology. He shares his thoughts about the ongoing mission and much more.
03/10/2015 | 28:50
- George Whitesides, President and CEO, Virgin Galactic
6,000 job-seekers came to the new Long Beach, California home of Virgin Galactic’s LauncherOne rocket on a recent morning. We sit down with CEO George Whitesides for a conversation about this new effort and the return of SpaceShipTwo.
02/24/2015 | 28:50
- Jonathan Goff, President and CEO, Altius Space Machines
ARM is the Asteroid Redirect Mission, and sometimes it seems that it doesn’t have a friend in the world. But it does, and Jonathan Goff of Altius Space Machines is one.