Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
08/23/2016 | 46:49
- John M. Logsdon, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Space historian and policy expert John Logsdon joins Mat Kaplan for a fascinating conversation about how the US could have lost the race to the moon.
08/16/2016 | 38:39
- Alexander Hayes, Assistant Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University
Steep canyons on Saturn's moon Titan are filled with liquid methane. That's the discovery just announced by an international team of Cassini scientists, including Alex Hayes.
04/12/2016 | 28:50
- Samantha Cristoforetti, Italian Astronaut, European Space Agency
- Robert Picardo, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Happy Yuri’s Night! We’re partying under Space Shuttle Endeavour in the first of two shows featuring interviews from the worldwide celebration of space. Star Trek’s Robert Picardo will talk about his new video newsletter, the Planetary Post, and we’ll visit with Samantha Cristoforetti, who returned last June from 200 days aboard the International Space Station.
03/15/2016 | 35:30
- Neil Gehrels, Chief, Astroparticle Physics Laboratory, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
NASA has given the go-ahead for creation of the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope. It might help reveal the nature of dark energy and point the way to life among the stars.
03/01/2016 | 1:08:15
- Kim Stanley Robinson, Science Fiction Author
Famed science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson is back with Aurora, a cautionary tale about just how difficult interstellar travel may be.
11/03/2015 | 31:47
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Nichelle Nichols, Actor and writer
- Dava Newman, Deputy Administrator, NASA
It was a grand night at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. CEO Bill Nye led the Planetary Society’s 35th anniversary party with guests including Neil deGrasse Tyson and Deputy NASA Administrator Dava Newman. We present a very brief sampling of the celebration.
03/24/2015 | 28:50
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
Senior Editor Emily Lakdawalla has returned from the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Texas with the latest revelations about our solar system. She shares them in an extended report.
02/10/2015 | 28:50
- Bob Pappalardo, Principal Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Marc Rayman, Dawn Chief Engineer and Mission Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Linda Spilker, Cassini Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
We’ll visit the Jet Propulsion Lab on its Icy Worlds Day to learn more about spacecraft exploring Ceres, Enceladus and Europa from leaders of these missions.
04/22/2014 | 28:50
- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx Principal Investigator, University of Arizona
- Elisa Quintana, Kepler Mission Research Scientist, SETI Institute
Finally found: an Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone. You’ll hear lead scientist Elisa Quintana make the announcement. Then OSIRIS REx mission Principal Investigator Dante Lauretta will tell us how the spacecraft will return a sample of material from the birth of the solar system.
04/15/2014 | 31:53
- Loretta Whitesides, Flight Director/Yuri's Night Founder, Zero Gravity Corporation/Yuri's Night
- George Whitesides, President and CEO, Virgin Galactic
- Ron Garan, Founder, Fragile Oasis and the Manna Energy Foundation
Join the party as we celebrate the 53rd anniversary of humanity’s transition to spacefaring species with Yuri’s Night Executive Director Loretta Hidalgo Whitesides, Virgin Galactic CEO and Yuri’s Night co-founder George Whitesides, and astronaut Ron Garan, who heads Fragile Oasis.