The Planetary Society Seeks a Digital Community Manager
Are you a science communicator who delights in sharing the passion, beauty, and joy of space exploration with others? Would you consider yourself a “digital extrovert” who excels at engaging followers on social media and online forums?
The Planetary Society was created 40 years ago by Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Louis Friedman to prove public support for space exploration and give citizens an active role in advancing it. Today it is led by CEO Bill Nye and is the world’s largest independent space interest organization.
As our Digital Community Manager, you’ll serve an enthusiastic audience of 50,000 global members and millions of online supporters as one of the key voices of The Planetary Society on our social media channels, website, and upcoming online forum. We’re seeking someone with space science or science communication expertise who is savvy at using social media and online forums to discuss space exploration, answer audience questions, and authentically engage and activate followers. Our key topic areas are: human and robotic planetary exploration, the search for life in the cosmos, and defending Earth from asteroids and comets.
To qualify, you should be able to translate complex concepts into easy-to-understand language tailored for specific platforms including short-form social media posts, long-form articles, curated photographs and infographics, and custom graphics (either created in collaboration with a design partner or entirely by you if you have graphic design skills). You should also have demonstrated success galvanizing followers on social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and online forums, and should be excited to apply your expertise to help our digital communities grow and thrive.
This is a full-time exempt position in our headquarters situated in the world capital of planetary science and exploration: Pasadena, California. Please read our full position description and follow the directions to apply. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Digital Community Manager, a full-time exempt position, applies expertise in space science and communication to engage audiences across The Planetary Society's social media channels, website, and online forum. The Digital Community Manager will accomplish this through social media and online forum posts, conversations, long-form written content, and visual communications to maximize the organization's strategy to grow, empower, and activate an international community of supporters who seek to advance space science and exploration.
Digital Community Engagement: 70% Time Spent
- Apply space science expertise to inform, engage, and grow audiences to support The Planetary Society’s mission and priorities on social media channels (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn) and the Society’s online forum
- Serve as a voice of The Planetary Society and represent our core values as a brand ambassador
- Ideate, create, and publish day-to-day posts on The Planetary Society’s social media channels and online forum
- Monitor and participate in online forum discussions and social media conversations relevant to The Planetary Society’s priorities
- Respond to direct messages, timeline comments, and tagged posts and photos across social media and web channels in a timely manner
- Moderate user-generated content in line with The Planetary Society’s community guidelines to ensure a healthy and welcoming digital community environment
- Coordinate execution of social media strategies for communications, advocacy, fundraising, and partnership campaigns
- Develop and produce occasional live social media events
- Assist with influencer relations
- Keep current on news and best practices related to planetary/space science, social media, science communication, and non-profit communication
Writing and Production: 30% Time Spent
- Apply space science expertise to develop, write, edit, proofread, and update articles and other web content to support The Planetary Society’s mission, programs, projects, and priorities
- Create and curate graphics to visually communicate space science information
- Capture video and photography during Planetary Society program milestones, activities, and events
- Evaluate communications materials for scientific accuracy and advise on corrections and improvements
- Keep current on news, issues, and trends related to planetary/space science, astrobiology, planetary defense, and related topics
Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in planetary/space science, journalism, communications, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Must have a strong working knowledge of the planetary science and space exploration landscape
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated experience growing a social media audience and using analytics to monitor trends and results
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communications skills, with an ability to distill complex science and engineering topics into concise, accurate, engaging, and easily understood language
- Ability to communicate using a variety of media including short- and long-form writing, photos, graphics, and video (graphic design skills are a plus)
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for engaging audiences in conversations about planetary science and space exploration topics
- Self-motivation and the ability to work as a team member
- Experience developing and producing live social media events
- Detail-oriented, organized, and adept at managing, prioritizing and meeting multiple deadlines
- Comfortable with very occasionally working outside normal business hours during breaking news and special events
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- A commitment to The Planetary Society's core values: passion, credibility, optimism, integrity, effectiveness
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Medical and dental insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan
- 11 holidays + vacation and sick leave
- Group Term Life insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Supportive work environment
- Beautiful location in Pasadena, CA
- Extraordinary colleagues
The Planetary Society is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity at all levels of our work. Job applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with application reviews commencing immediately. Your submission should include a resume, cover letter, and a relevant writing sample. Please email your submission to [email protected].