Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Subscribe:||Standard RSS Feed|
07/01/2014 | 28:50
- Laurie Barge, Post Doctoral Fellow, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
There’s so much we don’t know about the origin of life here or anywhere else in the universe. But there must have been an energy source. Researcher Laurie Barge led work that simulated the natural formation of a fuel cell that may have taken place in Earth’s primordial oceans.
06/24/2014 | 28:50
- Elisa Quintana, Kepler Mission Research Scientist, SETI Institute
Kepler-186f is the very first exoplanet that is both the size of our own world and in the habitable zone surrounding its star. SETI Institute scientist Elisa Quintana is lead author of the paper announcing its existence.
06/17/2014 | 35:42
- John M. Logsdon, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
The National Research Council released its long-awaited report June 4th. Distinguished space policy analyst John Logsdon returns to Planetary Radio with his take on this latest attempt to determine the proper role of humans in space.
06/10/2014 | 28:50
- Mike Simmons, President, Astronomers Without Borders
Astronomers Without Borders Founder and President Mike Simmons and his colleagues share the passion, beauty and joy of the night sky from Argentina to Zambia.
06/03/2014 | 42:38
- Linda Spilker, Cassini Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Andre Bormanis, Star Trek writer and consultant
Cassini Project Scientist Linda Spilker joins us at the first Starlight Festival in Big Bear Lake, California, and festival MC Andre Bormanis makes a bonus appearance on the show.
05/27/2014 | 34:47
- Dan Durda, Near Earth Object astronomer and astronomical painter
- Marc Rayman, Dawn Chief Engineer and Mission Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17 Commander, NASA
- Laura Danly, Astrophysicist and Curator, Griffith Observatory
Planetary Radio visited Spacefest in Pasadena to talk with planetary scientist and space artist Dan Durda, Marc Rayman of the Dawn asteroid mission, and a guy who calls himself the Space Cowboy. We also eavesdrop on Apollo 17 Commander Gene Cernan and his lifelong fan, Griffith Observatory Curator Laura Danly.
05/20/2014 | 56:44
- Charles Whetsel, Mars Program Formulation Office Manager, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Geoff Notkin, Meteorite Man, Discovery Channel
- Susan Jewell, Space medicine researcher and Mars analog participant, Mars Initiative
Planetary Radio visits the 33rd ISDC to talk with three explorers who’ve set their sights on the Red Planet: MD and space medicine researcher Susan Jewell, Meteorite Man Geoff Notkin, and Mars Program Formulation Office Manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Charles Whetsel.
05/13/2014 | 32:43
- Daniel Lockney, Editor of NASA's Annual Spinoff Report
NASA has just published "Spinoff 2013," the latest of its annual reports on outstanding innovations developed for space that are solving problems and improving lives here on Earth. Technology Transfer Program Executive Daniel Lockney is our guest.
04/29/2014 | 52:29
- Ray O. Johnson, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President, Lockheed Martin
- Bill Nye, Chief Executive Officer
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Mike Rowe, Creator and Executive Producer of 'Dirty Jobs', Discovery Channel
Join us at the world’s biggest public science event in Washington DC, where we talk about dirty jobs in space with television’s terrific Mike Rowe.