Each week, Planetary Radio visits with a scientist, engineer, project manager, astronaut, advocate or writer who provides a unique and exciting perspective on the exploration of our solar system and beyond. We also showcase regular features that raise your space IQ while they put a smile on your face. Host Mat Kaplan is joined by Planetary Society colleagues Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bruce Betts, and Emily Lakdawalla. We hit the road now and then to produce a Planetary Radio Live show in front of an audience. Drop us a line or enter the weekly space trivia contest at email@example.com.
Please support your local public radio station that airs the show! Check the station's online schedule or review our online list of affiliates. Satellite radio listeners can hear us Sunday evenings on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel. Want to hear Planetary Radio on your local station? Ask them to contact us or review our radio affiliate information page.
|Standard RSS Feed||Space Policy Edition|
06/07/2016 | 32:32
- Chris McKay, Famed planetary scientist, NASA Ames Research Center
- Larry Niven, Science Fiction Writer
- Andy Weir, Writer, Author of “The Martian”
Space art and science fiction joined science fact at the 2016 Contact Conference in Sunnyvale, California. We talk with three well-known visionaries.
05/31/2016 | 56:31
- Stephen Jurczyk, Associate Administrator of the Space Technology Mission Directorate, NASA
- Jim Free, Deputy Director of the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, NASA
- Rick Davis, Assistant Director for Science and Exploration, NASA’s Science Mission Directorate
Three NASA leaders talk with host Mat Kaplan about the progress we're making toward leaving footprints on the Red Planet.
05/24/2016 | 29:57
- Bruce Betts, Director of Science and Technology, The Planetary Society
- Jason Davis, Journalist and Digital Editor, The Planetary Society
The Planetary Society’s solar sail spacecraft was in the middle of a critical test as we spoke with the Society’s Bruce Betts and Jason Davis.
05/10/2016 | 28:50
- Mark Sirangelo, Corporate Vice President, Sierra Nevada Corporation's Space Systems
We’re back at Space Symposium for a conversation with SNC’s Mark Sirangelo, leader of that company’s effort to build the Dream Chaser. We’ll also hear a few moments of Bill Nye’s session at the annual gathering as he hosted Bernard Foing and Amy Mainzer.
04/26/2016 | 1:11:38
- Tyler Nordgren, Astronomer, Author and National Park Photographer
- Jill Tarter, Director of SETI Research, SETI Institute
Beautiful Death Valley National Park was the setting for a fascinating conversation with famed SETI researcher Jill Tarter and celebrated astronomer, artist and photographer Tyler Nordgren.
04/12/2016 | 28:50
- Samantha Cristoforetti, Italian Astronaut, European Space Agency
- Robert Picardo, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
Happy Yuri’s Night! We’re partying under Space Shuttle Endeavour in the first of two shows featuring interviews from the worldwide celebration of space. Star Trek’s Robert Picardo will talk about his new video newsletter, the Planetary Post, and we’ll visit with Samantha Cristoforetti, who returned last June from 200 days aboard the International Space Station.
03/29/2016 | 38:02
- Ashwin Vasavada, Mars Science Laboratory Project Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The new Mars Science Laboratory Project Scientist is not new to the mission. Ashwin Vasavada has worked on the Curiosity rover since 2004.
03/15/2016 | 35:30
- Neil Gehrels, Chief, Astroparticle Physics Laboratory, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
NASA has given the go-ahead for creation of the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope. It might help reveal the nature of dark energy and point the way to life among the stars.
03/08/2016 | 34:48
- Julielynn Wong, Founding Director, Center for Innovative Technologies and Public Health
Julielynn Wong came directly from her 30-day long HERA IX deep space simulation to our microphone. We talk with her about the experience, and her progress toward 3D medical device printing solutions for astronauts and Earthbound humans.