The Planetary Society Seeks Accountant
The Planetary Society is seeking an Accountant to serve in a hands-on role assisting the Chief Financial Officer (”CFO”) in managing the finance function.
This position is responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll/benefits processing and cash reporting functions of the Society’s financial operations. Other duties include but are not limited to assisting the CFO with bank reconciliations, financial reporting to Senior Staff/Board, the annual audit and tax returns.
The position coordinates closely with the Development department to ensure accurate and timely tracking and reporting of donations. Additionally, this position interacts with Staff/Board and Vendors to ensure proper tracking and accounting of departmental expenses and to ensure accurate and prompt payment of vendors.
Headquartered in Pasadena, California, The Planetary Society empowers the world's citizens to advance space science and exploration. For more than 35 years, our innovative technology projects, grassroots advocacy, and educational programs have harnessed public passion for space to propel exploration and discovery. Please visit planetary.org to learn more.
Accounts Payable and General Accounting
- Reviews all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment, including converting foreign currency expenses into US dollars.
- Ensures accurate entry and payment of transactions in accounting systems.
- Prints and obtains signatures on checks.
- Maintains all accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and vendor files.
- Assists staff/board as necessary with regards to paying vendors.
- Prepares 1099s.
- Assists in monthly/yearly closings including bank reconciliation and report preparation.
- Prepares general ledger entries as needed.
- Interacts with Auditors, Banks, and Investment Managers as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains payroll/benefits information by collecting, calculating, and entering data.
- Resolves payroll/benefits discrepancies.
- Ensures that timesheets are properly documented and approved by Department supervisors.
- Maintains employees paid time off balances.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Interacts with Payroll Service and processes payroll.
- Work with Development department to ensure that all batches are coded and recorded, including using Excel to calculate coding totals.
- Reviews bank statements and other reports to ensure deposit date and amount is accurate and fees are recorded.
- Prepares deposit slips.
- Makes deposits using desktop deposit machine or take deposits to the bank when necessary.
Cash and Petty Cash
- Prepares Weekly Cash Report
- Records and balances petty cash and produces monthly report.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Ability to work systematically, independently, accurately and to deadlines.
- High degree of organizational skills needed and the ability to troubleshoot.
- Enjoy working with a wide range of people in person, by email and by phone.
- Complete comfort with the ability to learn and use computer software including Quickbooks, bill.com, payroll and bank software, Excel and Word.
- Intermediate Excel and general computer skills.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Must value integrity and honesty.
- A degree from a business or trade school, or an associate’s degree.
- 1 to 2 years related work experience.
WHAT WE OFFER
We strongly believe that quality individuals will have individual needs in the workplace. For most positions, we offer flexible working hours and options to work at home (or wherever), though we’d prefer for you to work in the office when you can.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Supportive work environment
- Inspirational mission
- Beautiful location in Pasadena, CA
- Extraordinary colleagues
- Medical and dental insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan, with employer contributions starting after 2 years
- 11 holidays + vacation and sick leave
- Group Term Life insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Planetary Society Accountant”.
The Planetary Society is a non-profit organization that offers excellent benefits and compensation. The Planetary Society is an equal opportunity employer.
The Planetary Society is the world's largest space advocacy and outreach nonprofit organization, with over 40,000 members in 100 countries. It is an entirely member-funded and independent organization.
The Society works to create a culture of exploration around the world, with the goal of increasing the number of peaceful missions to space by the U.S. and other countries. We work to ensure a robust program of robotic planetary exploration for scientific purposes.
The Planetary Society also creates and manages its own projects, including providing funding for SETI, near-Earth object surveys, planetary defense, seed funding for new technologies, and a solar sail mission, LightSail-1.
The Society was founded in 1980 by Bruce Murray, Lou Friedman, and Carl Sagan, and is currently led by CEO Bill Nye, the Science Guy.
An asteroid or comet headed for Earth is the only large-scale natural disaster we can prevent. Working together to fund our Shoemaker NEO Grants for astronomers, we can help save the world.