What we do
We create. We educate. We advocate.
With your support, The Planetary Society sponsors projects that will seed innovative space technologies, nurtures creative young minds, and is a vital advocate for our future in space.
Right now we are…
- Scanning the skies for dangerous asteroids,
- Hunting for Earthlike planets,
- Searching for life in the Universe,
- Advocating for needed science funding,
- And flying our very own solar sail spacecraft, Lightsail-1.
Why we do it
Our Mission: Empower the world's citizens to advance space science and exploration.
What you can do
Want to get more involved? We are YOUR place in space.
We're excited to share with you the many ways you can participate with us to play a part in the future of space exploration.
From joining our online community to volunteering to becoming a member of our New Millennium Committee, we have something just right for you.
- Join our global online community
- Connect with us on Facebook or via Twitter
- Participate with our Volunteer Network
- Sponsor projects
- Contribute monthly in our Discovery Team program
- Become a Planetary Society Member
How we started
The Planetary Society, founded in 1980 by Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Louis Friedman, to inspire and involve the world's public in space exploration through advocacy, projects, and education. Today, The Planetary Society is the largest and most influential public space organization group on Earth.
The Planetary Society is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the United States.
More About Us
The Planetary Society is proud to honor those in our community who help to promote the future of space exploration through two very special awards, The Cosmos Award for Outstanding Public Presentation of Science and The Thomas O. Paine Memorial Award for the Advancement of Human Exploration of Mars.
Beyond The Horizon, There's More To Explore!
Become a member of The Planetary Society and together we will create the future of space exploration.